Monday, April 7, 2008

Prophets and Prayers

Hannah's first birthday, with cake all over her face. A picture that melts my heart and a memory I will never forget!
It was an amazing opportunity to watch Conference this past weekend. I loved listening to the teachings. I was hoping and praying for some insight on parenting and ways to better raise Hannah. I was so amazed by how many talks were about mothers, parents, and families. Prayers are most certainly answered! I don't know maybe they talk about those things alot all the time and I was just more aware of it this time. Anyways I got so very good ideas and insights. One of my favorites was "Focus more on the doing and less on the getting done." Sorry I don't remember who said that or if those are the exact words, but it was the jest of it. I think that I need to relax and let go. Enjoy more time with Hannah. When we go to the park, stop counting down the minutes until it is time to go. Just enjoy being with her and having her enjoy the experience. I also loved the article in the Ensign (that I just happened upon yesterday) titled, "The Joy of Nurturing Children." A sister from Utah was talking about focusing on moments and making memories. She said, "I wasn't just rearing children; I was preparing a future generation of parents-- a generation that would need all the positive experiences I could give them to cope with an increasingly challenging world. Was it possible that children who have a happy childhood will be better parents?" (Click here for the entire article) I just have been overwhelmed with the inspirations the Lord has been sending me. I am thankful that I belong to a church that encourages us to have a personal relationship with God. I am thankful for my family (the one I was raised in and the one I am raising now). I am thankful for the memories and traditions that my parents set up that made my childhood happy. I hope that I can create memories and traditions that Hannah can enjoy and want to have with her family someday.

3 comments:

mandy said...

My favorite, favorite talk! That line is by Anna Quindlen quoted by Elder Ballard. Did you know that you can listen to it again online? It is so great!

Max and Deanna said...

I have all the talks recorded on my TV. It's great to hear your comments about conference. If we just hear one thing that makes us a better person it was worth the time listening. By the way--I think you are a great mom!!

Ryan + Angie said...

Thanks for your post. Like the talks it was inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing your insights. You are a great mom. Love you!