Monday, February 6, 2012

August '11: Part 1

August was a big month for us so I have divided it into three posts (also I have had a little (actually pretty big and I am sick about it) mishap with some of my photos and I am working on recovering them, so hopefully it will all be resolved by next week and I can move on to September.


In August Chad had just finished up his semester at school, I was super pregnant (at least I felt that way), Hannah was about ready to start school, and we just felt like we needed to get away. We had never had an official family vacation with just us before so we decided to plan one! It had been a very long time since we had seen Chad's dad, so we picked California as our destination.


We flew first to Los Angeles. Our trip was going to be pretty short and I didn't want to spend more than half our vacation driving! Hannah loved playing with the toys in her surprise bag and Grace watched Elmo on the DVD player and Chad's phone.


Our first stop was the Hollywood sign. Chad and I went to California on our honeymoon eight years ago (gulp) and we drove around for hours trying to get close to the sign. We were never able to do it, so we were determined to find it this time and we did!


Later that day we drove down to Santa Monica Pier. The whole time we were planning the trip I was so worried about dying of heat, so I was totally unprepared for the cold weather we experienced! We had to stop at a little shop and buy sweatshirts for all of us!



The next day was Sunday and we were able to go and visit Chad's dad and family. We went to church with them and just spent the day relaxing with them. Hannah loved her Aunt Mackenzie and Grace loved their dog, Lily.


We drove to San Diego next and went to some little shops along the beach. We even played a little in the sand and cold water. Again, it was chilly! Who would have expected that for August in California?!



Our next stop was Balboa Park. It was huge and amazing! We were able to see some beautiful buildings and landscaping.


That afternoon we put the girls in their suit and headed for the water. They loved it! Hannah was running from the waves and even got knocked over several times. Chad was so good to get in the water with them. I stayed back away from the water and protected the towels! On the walk back to the car there was a wedding on the beach. Grace kept yelling, "Princess!" It was pretty funny!



Our last day was spent at Sea World. Chad's sister Mackenzie was able to come and spend the day with us. She was so great, she was a buddy for Hannah and was able to go on the big ride with Chad that I wasn't allowed to go on. My favorite part was all of the shows. Grace was in Elmo heaven when we went to the Sesame Street Playland. She was able to take a picture with Elmo and Big Bird! It was an awesome day and I really wish that we could have had two days, because there was so much more to see and do!


This was a much needed and enjoyed vacation for our little family. It was fun to get away, experience new things, and enjoy just being together as a family.

2 comments:

mandy said...

I am loving this recap idea and plan to copy it as soon as I can get my act together.

P.S. What program are you using for your collages?

Max and Deanna said...

I had forgotten about this trip. I was fun to remember and to see what you did.