Monday, December 7, 2009

Grace's Birth Story

Here is just a quick recap of the birth of Grace. We got a call from the hospital at 5:30am on Sunday, November 22, 2009. They told us to be at the hospital by 7:30 to start the induction. We arrived right on time.
They got me all set up with an I.V. and checked me. I was dilated to a 3. The doctor said that if they weren't inducing me that morning I would have most likely gone into labor on my own that night.
The Pitocin started at 8:00am and then the doctor came in and broke my water. I started having strong contractions really fast. I requested the epidural around 10:000am. They had a difficult time getting it in. The anesthesiologist said that I had scar tissue from my chemo treatments that I got in my spine. He was worried about how well the drugs were going to work. It seemed to work well in my legs, but I was still feeling a TON of pressure.
They checked me around 11:15 and I was a 7. I was VERY uncomfortable and so the nurse asked the anesthesiologist to come in and give me some more medicine. Soon after I felt like I really needed to push. The nurse checked me again and said, "Oh. Yes you are...she is right there."
She called the doctor and after 3 short pushes little Grace made her appearance right at 12pm on the dot! It was a very fast and smooth labor. Our doctor and the nurses were so great. We were so happy that she was here and healthy.

5 comments:

mandy said...

It is such a blessing that her birth was so fast and (relatively!) easy. She is so sweet.

Beth Willmore said...

Oh I'm so glad that things went smoothly and that she got here safely. She is such a beautiful baby!

Ryan + Angie said...

What a cutie. I can't believe I haven't seen her in person yet. I'm still planning to come. Don't give up on me.

Max and Deanna said...

I want to see her in person. Can you keep her little till I get there?

Parley and Anna said...

Oh my heavens! She is so beautiful! And Hannah looks like she loves her sister! I'm glad things went so smoothly. Good luck w/ these first few weeks!